Thursday, January 29, 2009

Looking for the silver lining when you're in a slump...

Have you ever had one of those weeks? You know the ones I mean...the ones where NOTHING seems to go right. Well, I'm in my slump, and I want out. I'm the kind to wallow in my misery, but I realized that things just keep going wrong when that happens, so I'm going to look for the silver lining in hopes of digging myself out of the slump.

Yesterday.

Slump Factor #1:

Received a notice that insurance is not paying for the crown that I unexpectedly received in December. Got a bill for $600.

The silver lining: Won't be wasting money on that gorgeous dress that I wanted so very badly.

Slump Factor #2:

I went to the dentist. Thought about canceling because of all the snow and slick roads...I didn't cancel, and it took me an hour to get there. Got my teeth cleaned, had my annual x-ray.

They found 12 cavities.

12?! How on earth does someone get 12 cavities?! I don't like this new dentist lady they got, so I called back later and asked for my dentist to take a look at the x-rays, too. He said it's one of 3 things:

1) Change in diet.

Nope.

2) Change in medication.

Uh-uh.

3) Autoimmune diseases.

Oh bloody hell! That &%$@ Crohn's Disease!

The silver lining: The extra time it took me to get to the dentist gave me some practice time driving in the snow. And at least the other half of my teeth are cavity-free. Hey, and if I have to get dentures by the time I'm 30, then at least I'll have perfect teeth and won't keep grinding them together when I take them out at night!

Slump Factor #3:

Lost another button on one of my favorite coats.

The silver lining: Extra practice sewing buttons.

Slump Factor #4:

Half-way through the day I got something in my eye and had to drive home with one contact in.

The silver lining: I have cute glasses to wear just in case. At least Foo Foo didn't eat that pair.

Slump Factor #5:

Went home to make dinner with The Cowboy. Sliced right into my finger while cutting an onion.

The silver lining: Well, I didn't cut it off!

Today:

Slump Factor #6:

Woke up with a nasty cold sore on my lip (I hate those things!).

The silver lining: I have some Neosporin Lip Treatment on hand from last time I got a nasty cold sore. Plus, now I know ahead of time that I'm getting a cold.

Slump Factor #7:

Received a phone call from IPFW. They cancelled my much-anticipated Conversational German class due to lack of interest.

The silver lining: One more night to spend with Aaron.


So there it is. I just have to laugh, not out of happiness, but sheer insanity.

No comments: