Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Fasching ist der Teufel los.



Okay, so I'm trying to learn German. In fact, my first ever German class is being held tonight at Park Edelweiss (squeal!). I've waited for this day since I was a little girl!!!


Happy Fat Tuesday to you! You're probably wondering what "An Fasching ist der Teufel los" means. I have a little German day calendar next to my desk, and this was the phrase of the day. It means "On Mardi Gras all hell breaks loose," or literally, "On Mardi Gras the devil is loose" (which I find to be a bit more frightening translation!).


Anyhow, every Lent I give up the same old things...chocolate, pop, fast food...whatever. I feel that I'm a bit too grown up for this list. Last year I made a whole list of alms, prayer, and fasting ideas, but it was such a large list that I never stuck with any of it and really didn't gain much (or give much) from Lent at all!


This year, I found this really awesome website "AmericanCatholic.org." They have a newsletter (Update!) that concentrates specifically on Lent and works through it day by day, improving on one thing each day. If any of you know me well, you know that I'm a packrat...when it comes to home, crafts, calendar, office, etc. This is about de-cluttering your life to make room for Christ, especially at Easter. Here is tomorrow's post for Ash Wednesday:




So, to you I wish a festive and safe Fat Tuesday and a prayerful and productive Lent!



By the way, my sister-in-law Stephanie was having contractions about 8 minutes apart on Sunday, so we are all very anxious for our very first grandbaby! I swear my phone is practically attached to me at all times just in case I get that very exciting call!!!


No comments: