Sunday, March 14, 2010

Field Trip

The Syrup Farm

Mom, Jacob, Kelly, Lucy and I went on a tour of a syrup farm yesterday. It's the Merry Lea Maple Sugaring Program at Yoder Sugar Bush. If you live in the area, you should definitely check it out because it's absolutely fascinating, and we need to keep programs like this open. We found out through ACRES Land Trust, who does so much good in Indiana attempting to buy up and preserve land and keeping new and unnecessary subdivisions out.

It was a very muddy, windy, rainy day. But darn it, we wanted some syrup, so we trudged on. We made Jacob carry the girl umbrella because girls are mean like that.


(I'm loving the cartoon and spotlight features in Kodak Easyshare, so a lot of the photos may look kind of funky with the cartoon feature on, but I went kind of crazy with it)

Tapping the tree
(This was a dead one that they use for demonstrations so they don't put holes in all of the good trees)
This little girl was so cute...I really wanted to get a picture of her face. She kept popping her head up, and then when I tried to take a picture of her, she'd pop back down. Her brother was cute, too, but I would have felt awkward asking these people if I could take pictures of their kids.
This is the room where they make the syrup.


Showing the different colors of syrup.
This is actual syrup that we put on our pancakes later that morning.





Pancake and syrup time!!!
I even bought some for myself. Yum! And thanks, Mom, for the little memento!!!
The long trek back

The End

2 comments:

Jesse and Stephanie said...

I've been there! I went there with Jason Farren a looooong time ago, and I've been wondering where it was at. Now I know who to ask!

Shoe Gal said...

Wow! Jason Farren...now that's a name I haven't heard in a while! Yep, the syrup farm is very close to our house. Right now is the perfect time to go because they're actually making the syrup.