Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Lovely Sound of Karen Carpenter

Is there anything more exciting than finding a new song or singer that you just absolutely can't do without? Rumer is one such a musician. I heard her on NPR (I listen to them for art and music and food, not necessarily for politics), and I was immediately enchanted. She sounds spot on like Karen Carpenter, and as I'm thinking this while I'm listening, the host of the show brings that point up. Does she try to sound like Karen Carpenter? Well, while Rumer has a great deal of respect for Karen Carpenter, she doesn't make a point of sounding like her. She just wants the words and vocals to be as clear as possible. Can you believe this gal was a waitress turned singer...it's about time someone found her! Her music is so soft, so hypnotic. She says that she envisions heaven when she creates her music.



And she's the youngest of 7 children...I'm smitten. 















Here's a very short biography on Rumer & her music.

Oh, and she's supported by the likes of Elton John and Burt Bacharach. That's sayin' something.


Finally....some good music in this decade!

No comments: